Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing #18 - Online productivity tools

Our family website is full of online tools. We use Google calendar to coordinate family calendars, we use ta-da lists for groceries, Target items, etc. and we share documents on Google docs. We've also gotten the high school youth ministry at church to use Google docs to manage our Sunday morning schedules so we don't have to play the 'which version is the latest' game on email. I haven't played with OpenOffice yet but feel like this is certainly the future. Proprietary software is losing it allure for me as I am able to do as much or more with open software than I can with the proprietary software and I can access and share it instantly. That much flexibility will be huge in the future. Come to think of it, it would have been useful to have everything on my computer saved on the web before my hard drive crashed in the fall. Note to self: begin transferring docs to Google docs ASAP.

No comments: